Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Skull Quilt Blocks





















I posted a couple of these pictures on the Quilting Board that I occasionally frequent along with the message that I was making this quilt for a baby and got some very different opinions. Some people were horrified that I would make a skull quilt for a baby and some people thought it was very fresh and "out of the box". While a skull quilt for a baby has its nay-sayers, it is what the mom of the baby likes and she has already decorated with skulls. A somewhat older sibling (6-ish) is also just "gaga" over skulls.

Skulls are everywhere, on t-shirts for both genders for all ages (and even dogs), on shoes, the subject of video games for girls, on fabric, and toys such as stuffed skulls, etc. This trend has been out in pop culture for quite a few years now. I thought it would die off quickly, but no. I have done a bit of internet reading and there are two lines of thought as to where this trend came from: 1) popularity of pirates and 2) the Mexican holiday of Day of the Dead or El Dia de Muertos.

If you have an opinion on why skulls are popular or if a skull baby quilt is horrific or cute, I'd love to hear your comments. Regardless of why skulls are popular, I don't think it will disappear overnight especially for this baby's mom. I think it will be an interesting baby quilt, and if the baby is scared of it -- I know mom will love it. I will post more pictures when the quilt is finished.

Happy quilting.

2 comments:

Sally Jane said...

I have made two baby quilts with "Day of the Dead" looking skulls in the fabric. Both quilts were LOVED!!!! Nothing excites me more than finding the theme that mommy and daddy like and making an unique quilt for their baby. Have you ever gotten a handmade gift that was not your style or taste? Though you can appreciate the time that went into the project, it makes you realize that the gift giver either does not know you that well or wants to convert you to their preferences. Anyways....you didn't ask any of us what our opinion was of the skulls for a baby quilt did you? But you got it!!!

The baby is going to see black, white and brights. The skulls will mean nothing to a baby, how could they? For border and sashings, if I was making this quilt, I would use the same fabric as in the bows and flowers. I think 2" squares sewn together in a scrappy fashion would be so cute and could be easily made with strip piecing. One more thought, and this is something I just saw yesterday: the skull in your center square could be cut out of lace fabric, like an eyelet fabric. Super cute and girly!!

Have fun with your project and know that you are making something that the mom and dad will cherish.

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for your comments! I too think that your suggestion with 2 inch blocks as sashing is a perfect idea!