Saturday, April 20, 2013

Project 2016 -- Florida or Bust:Kitchen Makeover -- In the Home Stretch


I am nearing the end of my kitchen project. Last weekend and this, I have been painting the walls. I went with three different intensities of the same color. About 40% of the kitchen will be covered with the lightest color and 30% with each of the two darker colors. The colors play well with the cabinet colors and will look great with the recycled glass tiles purchased for the back splash.

I went with a "soft-gloss" for the sheen and "scrubbability". It was an
option which is between a satin and a semi-gloss with Valspar's Ultra Kitchen & Bath paint. This paint is both a low odor and zero VOC (volatile organic compounds). I can vouch that the low odor is true as within 24 hours you couldn't smell new paint in the house.
The paint covered easily in two coats -- even the darkest color.

I put the darkest color on the walls around the refrigerator and the cabinets next to it. The lightest color went on the walls around the window. This made sense to me as the window is large and it would have looked odd to me to have a very dark wall with a big bright hole in the middle. The medium color is on the wall where the stove sits. I like the way the three colors work together in the room to provide some depth.

I am looking forward to being done with this project. I guess I always think that DIY projects will be easier than they reveal themselves to be.

Happy Painting!


No comments: